Spring is finally here! Let’s say that again after this very. long. winter. Spring is finally here! The sun seems sunnier, the birds are chirping, the days are getting warmer and you, our friend, are ready to Spring clean your house. Open those windows and let the fresh air in, dust everything in your house from top to bottom, clean behind all the appliances and complete your Spring Plumbing Maintenance checklist. What?! You say you don’t have a checklist for Spring Plumbing Maintenance? It’s a good thing you visited our blog today as we just happen to have a checklist for you here!
- Check Your Sump Pump– Make sure your sump pump is working properly. Fill the pit with enough water to turn the pump on and watch it pump the water out. Then go outside and find the end of the sump pump drain line, maybe a curb or storm drain, and make sure water discharges.
- Check Downspouts & Gutters– Make sure downspouts and gutters are clear of debris, birds’ nests, leaves, etc.
- Turn Outdoor Faucets On Carefully– Turn faucet on slowly. We recommend having someone on the other side of the wall or in the basement before you turn on your faucet. Most hose faucets break inside the house. This way if there is an issue, they can quickly alert you to turn it off. Check faucet for drips or leaks and make the necessary repairs.
- Inspect Your Toilets– Examine your toilet tank and bowl for leaks and cracks. Check the parts inside the toilet tank for corrosion and wear and tear. You can check your toilet for hidden leaks by adding a few drops of food coloring in toilet tank. If the toilet is leaking, the color will start to seep into the bowl. Make the necessary repairs to save water.
- Check Indoor Faucets For Leaks– Go around your house and do a visual inspection of your faucets. Are they dripping or leaking? Make the repair and save yourself money and water.
- Check Pipes For Leaks-Check exposed pipes in your basement and under your sink for leaks.
- Drain Your Water Heater-Carefully drain several gallons of water from your hot water heater tank. This will help remove any minerals and sediment that has built up and help ensure a longer life for your water heater.
We realize we just added a few more things to your Spring “To Do” list. We promise you; these extra steps of preventative maintenance can help save you money in the long run. Did you find a leak you need help repairing? We are available 24/7. If you find you just don’t have the time to perform this routine maintenance checklist and want our assistance, give us a call, 740-548-5453, and one of our Professionals will be happy to perform your Spring Maintenance for you. Happy Spring!
For a full list of our services please visit our website at http://www.emergencyplumbingservice.com